Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Old Friends


Last night some of the old winterguard crew got together for a mini-reunion. I have not seen most of the people there since I graduated back in 2004. This reunion was inspired by a video Mrs. Armstrong posted on facebook of the year we did "He Lives in You." It was fun to see everyone and interesting to see where everyone is in their lives. With my 25th birthday coming up, I have been doing a lot of self-reflecting wondering what I have done with my life. After last night, I realize that I have done a lot. I have graduated from college, served a mission, found a good job, moved out on my own, bought a car, I am healthy and very happy. I have made many memories and friends along the way and I don't regret a thing I have done. Sometimes I get wrapped up in Utah culture that tells you that if you are this old and not married something is wrong with you. That is not true! I would not change the things I have done for anything. I would not be who I am without them. One of my instructors, JB, that I really respect sent me a sweet message today. He said that "I remember the timid, pretty girl I first met in the fall of 2001.... telling me "I can't..." when we asked you to throw a quad. ;-) And you've more than surpassed throwing quads in your life. I'm thrilled to see the beautiful, young woman you've become." This really meant a lot and helped me realize that the world doesn't determine your worth.

No comments: