Thursday, June 30, 2011

The Uhaul

If you look closely, you can see the stuff in my car too!
I talked about moving, but I thought I would tell you about traveling with a Uhaul. Like mentioned in an earlier post, we had little sleep and got a late start on our trip. We didn't know exactly how long the trip would take since the Uhaul would slow us down, but when you look at the directions and see that you are on the same road for 1,047 miles you know it is going to be a long drive! Driving at a normal speed, Mapquest estimated 25 hours and Google estimated 1 day and 3 hours. Well, it took us 2 days.

Day 1: We left at 11:30. Travis drove practically the whole way because my eyes were red and swollen from allergies. Therefore you will not see any pictures of me on this day. We couldn't drive too fast because of the trailer and we had to stop about every 3 hours because it guzzled gas. Well, when Travis started dozing, I decided to take over. We stopped 3 hours west of Omaha. The plan was to make it to Omaha because that was the halfway point, but we were both beat. I think that we stopped at around 11. It was probably the most restful sleep I had gotten in months that night. As soon as my head hit the pillow I was out.
He looks thrilled huh? This is what the scenery was like most of the way.
Day 2: The hotel served breakfast and we got back on the road at about 7:30. This time I started the drive because now Travis' allergies were acting up. He was to the point I was the day before where he couldn't wear his contacts. Luckily we practically have the same prescription so he wore my glasses. I drove probably the slowest I ever have on the highway. Even semi trucks would pass me every now and then (and that has NEVER happened before). I sucked up my pride and knew that getting there was more important than not letting a semi pass me. We did finally make it to Dayton at around 2 am I think.

Momentous event of the trip: Pep (my car, short for Pepper ann) hit 20,000 miles. She has already added about 1,000 more since then. I love Pep!

Proof, it was still 65 degrees when I left the West.
Overall, the trip went really well. There were only two places that we hit traffic and the rest was smooth sailing. We had absolutely no problems with the trailer, which was out biggest concern. We had to get gas every 3 hours, so we had lots of opportunities to jump out of the car and stretch our legs. We didn't do anything great and exciting, but overall I would say it was a great trip. It didn't feel like we were in the car 2 days straight. I think the biggest thing is that we didn't even get sick of one another.

After arriving in Dayton, we had to unload my car because Travis didn't want anyone to break into it. His car has been broken into there, as well as a couple others. Did I mention that my car was full to the brim too? I forgot to take a picture of it. I am super bummed. Oh well. So, we got my car unloaded and left the locked trailer in the parking lot to be unloaded in the morning. We successfully made it across the country!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

I bet you were so tired! I hope you slept a lot that night! I miss you!

Hawaii Monkeys said...

At least you only have to do that once in your life, right? well, maybe? Haha, makes me appreciate that part of the army! :) Maybe you guys will use a company for the next move.
I came over to your blog and saw your ticker saying 4 days!! oh holy cow!! so cool!