Sunday, March 20, 2011

NCAA-Jimmermania

While I was at school on Friday, I got a text from Nathan saying, "Denver tomorrow?" I replied, "Sure." He was surprised by my quick answer because sometimes I am not the most spontaneous person. I let my responsible side get in the way in some cases. What he didn't know was that I planned on going with Travis' old roommates but then plans fell through, so I was excited about the offer. The only problem was that since it wasn't planned ahead, I was working that night. I got home from babysitting at midnight and got up at 5:30 the next morning. blah. Nathan isn't really a morning person so I started the drive. The drive was great! Good weather, no traffic, and most importantly, no police! I drive fast, but Nathan drives faster. We made it to Denver in just over 6 hours. Once we got there we grabbed a bite to eat and met up with Austin and his 2 friends. There was a strip mall there that reminded each of us of our missions because of the people and atmosphere. It smelled of alcohol and smoke, there were people doing street acts for money, and we even saw a man get arrested and some missionaries. Funny comment of the trip. While we were walking around, we over heard these guys talking about BYU fans as they walked passed us. They said, "It's weird, they all look like brother and sister." I laughed because they said it as Nathan and I were walking by. Then it was game time! Let me tell you, it was exciting! There were crazy fans (Nathan was friends with some of them), scalpers everywhere (Nathan was friends with them too), and lots of Jimmer-haters. I think people came just to cheer against Jimmer.
Here we are before the game:
We caught the end of the first game and it was not exciting at all. As soon as BYU came out, the excitement turned on. This was my first NCAA tournament ever! When the team came out there was a huge cheer and I had lots of faith. Then, Gonzaga came out and the cheer was twice as loud. I may have doubted a little. The game started and I doubted some more. It was not looking good for BYU. I mean come on, they had 2 giants on their team. After half time, Jimmer turned his game on and that was the end of Gonzaga. I don't know why I doubted. It was so intense/exciting. Only bad part was that I had a migraine from lack of sleep so I missed out on some "Rising and Shouting." I was so glad Nathan invited me to come.
Here we are after the victory!
That night, like in my original plan, we got to see Anne and Jared. Jared is Travis' best friend. We stayed with them and I got to meet their new baby, Mikayla. It was great to see them, especially now that I am "part of the family." Ann and I talked a lot about the wedding and marriage, and Jared talked a lot about Travis and of course the game. He was on the 3rd row and got to go to the hotel with the players so he was like a little boy again. It's the same when he and Travis are together. They turn into little boys...so funny. Anyways, it was a blast! It was worth the weekend trip!

2 comments:

sjbroadhead said...

6 hours?......just how long SHOULD it take?

Glad y'all had fun.

Lindsay said...

I'm not sure, but Cameron said "woah, Lead Foot Lary" when I read that to him. :)